Thursday, May 2, 2013

This is why I'm not a teacher...

First order of business...

I have finally gotten my new items in the shop! I'm loving the way they have turned out and am so excited to keep adding more!




Second - I was contacted by 20 best Twenty earlier this week and they wanted to feature/promote Nora & Jac for the month of May. {Pretty sweet birthday present, huh?!} It launched last night and I'm so grateful for the opportunity! So go check it!!!

Third - Today's topic is to educate y'all on something I know a lot about. And you know what, that's a hard thing to come up with. I've been trying to think of something since I saw this topic last week. I tend to know a little bit about a lot of things. I don't think there's anything that I'm really an expert in. So I thought to myself... what can you teach someone. {Meh, this is why I'm not a teacher...} I can sew. I can knit. I can style. I can do my hair... but I just do them. It's hard to explain how to do something that is almost second nature.

However, I did learn or teach myself how to cook. But instead of a long, detailed tutorial on how to cook - because let's face it - that's boring. And who wants that. I'll give you a little list of my tips and tricks...





1. Experiment. If something sounds interesting... try it. Last night I made an avocado/gouda pasta sauce. I had been wanting to try it for awhile, but hadn't. I finally bit the bullet, and it wasn't bad. But it wasn't amazing. I enjoyed it because it was healthy and full of things that are good for your body - and I enjoy knowing that. However, it probably won't go on my list of go-to meals. It wasn't that good.

2. Test everything. When I'm cooking, I'm always tasting. Not a lot... but a taste of the sauce, a little piece of the meat, a bite of the casserole before it bakes. {If it's a new a recipe} That way there are no surprises... you can adjust it accordingly while you're cooking instead of after the fact.

3. Don't restrict yourself to following the recipe. It's okay to color outside the lines sometimes. You never know, you may come up with the best recipe yet. Who knew throwing a little whiskey in with my ground beef when making lasagna would make it taste that much better... never know til you try. ;)

4. Indulge. I love eating healthy and cooking healthy. But sometimes homemade macaroni and cheese is just needed. And I shouldn't feel guilty about diving into a bowl of cheesy deliciousness. It's all about moderation, kids.

5. Have fun. Cooking should be something you enjoy - not a chore. It's a creative outlet, if you let it be. So go into that kitchen, pull out some ingredients and see what you can come up with!



I'm linking up with Jenni! {And patting myself on the back for completing Day 2! Baby steps.}

Happy Thursday, lovers!


1 comment:

Natashalh said...

I couldn't agree with your cooking rules more! I always taste stuff and almost never stick to the recipe.

Natashalh