Tuesday, March 19, 2013

{She cooks comfort food} Four Cheese Mac.



Clearly I have a thing for comfort food. It may seem like that's all I cook... but rest assured, it's just all that's made it to the blog. But seriously, who doesn't love homemade mac & cheese? I think I've met one person in my entire life who doesn't absolutely love a bowl of this deliciousness. 

I think they need to seek therapy. Don't you?

Growing up it would always be such a treat when Mom would make the "real" mac & cheese. When she would bake it in the oven and cheese would get all gooey and crispy at the same time. {my mouth is watering and I'm not even hungry} It was one of my favorite meals then and is still one of my favorite foods. I wish I could eat it every day... 

However, since I shouldn't eat it everyday... I make sure when I do have it. That it's the good stuff. 


Four Cheese Mac. 

What you need:
Box of pasta - whichever shape you like. {I used gluten free pasta}
1 c. cheddar cheese 
1/2 c. mozzarella cheese
1/2 c. Gorgonzola cheese
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
1 c. 2% milk
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp flour {I used gluten free all purpose flour}
salt, pepper, garlic - to your tastes
dash of paprika

What you do:
Preheat oven to 350. 

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and prepare the pasta according to directions of package. 

While the pasta is cooking start working on your cheese sauce. Begin by making a roux. Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, once melted add the flour and whisk until combined and slightly browned {but not burnt}. Slowly whisk the milk into the roux, add seasoning at this time. Stir this frequently until it begins to thicken up - 5-10 minutes. Once it has thickened, remove from burner and whisk in the 2 cups {ish} of cheese. I always season again at this point. Once the cheese has completely melted into the sauce you are ready to combine the pasta and sauce. 

After the pasta has been drained, combine cheese sauce and pasta. You can either do this in the large pot you cooked the pasta in or you can do this in your greased casserole dish. Once combined, top it with a little handful of cheddar cheese and parm. Pop into the oven for about 25-30 minutes. 

Let rest for a couple minutes and then... ENJOY! 

**I have added all types of cheese to this when I make it... however, this is my favorite combination. Also, I think I've mentioned this plenty of times before - but, I really don't measure when I'm cooking so these are all approximations.** 

There you have it, loves... one of my favorite, favorite, favorite foods! 


So word on the street is that Google Reader will be on it's way out soon... here's my little Bloglovin' button if you'd like to follow me there...

Follow on Bloglovin

Oh, and here's my Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram if you please.

Happy Tuesday, dollfaces.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

This looks insanely yummy! Everything in moderation, right?! ;)

New follower from the hop!
Jamie & Kristen
www.IDontGototheGym.com